Mt.Wakakusa
(courtesy of General Incorporated Foundation Nara Visitors Bureau)


Mt.Wakakusa
(courtesy of General Incorporated Foundation Nara Visitors Bureau)

Mt. Wakakusa

The mountain was covered with turf grass on the east side of Tōdaiji Temple. Originally, it was called Mt. Tsuzurao. In the Edo Period (1603 – 1867), it was also called Mt. Mikasa, which was caused by confusion with adjacent Mt. Mikasa with the same pronunciation. Some say that turf grass was planted in Mt. Wakakusa that had been originally a wooded mountain in order to indicate the boundary between Mt. Tōdaiji and Mt. Kasuga in the Kamakura Period (1185 – 1333). Though it had been included in the territory of Tōdaiji Temple in ancient times, in the Edo period (1603 – 1867), it was confiscated by Edo Shogunate and then utilized as the land for grass that was mowed to feed domestic animals of surrounding villages. This mountain is the stage of “Yamayaki (or mountain burning),” a traditional event represent daying Nara. Moreover, there is an Uguisuzuka Kofun (mound) on the top.